Wednesday, August 1, 2012

In Transit Adventures

I still have no wi-fi, so several posts may get clumped together. I want to mention some of the first adventures I have had so far. Although it seems like an eternity ago, we landed safely in London. Our next flight was with Croatia Airlines. Jason (pastor at FBC Tulia) and I sat on either side of a woman from Bosnia. She had lived in London for many years after fleeing war in her country. She was on her way to visit family. Her accent was heavy and I was unable to remember her name, but we managed to carry on nice conversation. When I left my plane food untouched, she nudged me and said, "Eat! ". I couldn't bring myself to do it. The second time she insisted that I eat, she told me I was too skinny and gave me a piece of candy. That's right, I took candy from a stranger. Well, I didn't really want to. It was practically the size of a walnut and I knew I would be sucking on it for the next 7 years. Still, under the circumstances it was the polite thing to do. Wasn't so bad. Minty on the outside, caramel inside. Our plane landed in Rajek (pronounces something like rrrah-yeckuh), but we went on to Zagreb. That only took about 20 minutes. To my surprise, Dr Shaw took us into the city. We ate at a small cafe. I tasted a shopke salad, which has lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and goat cheese. I tried really hard, but it wasn't my favorite thing I ever ate. We walked around a bit and saw a ton of graffiti. There was not much time before we had to get back to the airport, but I had the unexpected chance to add another stamp to my passport. I'm chowing down on crackers and trying to stay awake. We will land in just a little while in Skopje and go to our hotel. These shoes did not do the job walking those streets and I am looking forward to changing them. Hopefully, after we get our luggage settled and into the hotel we can get a good night's rest. I know that tomorrow has big things in store. As we prepare, pray for receptiveness to the gospel. The community we begin teaching English in is heavily Muslim and has even been under some Al Quida influences. We are not sure if we will be allowed to teach the children Bible stories. Don't be worried, we are quite safe. I only want to be as effective as possible. Now I am cozying up in my very canvas-like sheets at our hotel. This place delights me already. Everybody is safe and sound. I took a very refreshing shower and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Fun fact, I already have four different currencies with me at the mmoment. Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment