Monday, June 13, 2011

What Day is it??

     I have skipped what feels like a hundred days. Everything runs together and I forget when I saw what. I could chronologically fill you in, but as I have only 20 minutes of Internet for the 10 shekels I put in, I will only tell what I can get to. That is only about 3 American dollars, I've been getting lots of practice with my multiples of 3.
     I left off at my favorite site, Capurnaum. This was a town near the Sea of Galilee where Jesus had his headquarters. Much of his ministry was done from, in, around Capurnaum. Forgive me for forgetting what business flourished in Capurnaum, but the people were generally wealthy. Instead of living in the cave-ish grottos we saw in Nazareth, the houses were made of stone walls with palm branch roofs. We were able to see the walls, still standing in little squares, sometimes with rocks balanced up to make windows. In one of those houses, Jesus had drawn a huge crowd so that a group of men had to drop their paralyzed friend through the roof. Remember that? Am I the only one who was under the impression that they had to remove roof tiles? So innacurate. They just pulled the dry palm branches apart.
    Way cooler than the houses was the synagogue. At the time it was super fancy compared to the average home-churches and small buildings. It was made of marble, expensive because that had to be brought from elsewhere. Most of it was still standing, including incredibly ornate pillars and decorative carvings. There was also another church built over Peter's house and I am doing you a terrible injustice by breezing through these, but I must get to the silliness part of the post before dinner.
     OH WAIT! Let me tell you about danger! Well not really, we have been extremely safe. However, some of you may have been wondering about the armored bus in Bethlehem. Not true, we took our usual bus. But, we did have to cross over into Palestine (that's where Bethlehem is). We went through a checkpoint with walls and armed soldiers. We have done this several times this week, we drove on a long stretch of road where we could see the border fence between Israel and Jordan. When we left Bethlehem, back through the checkpoint, 2 armed soldiers walked through the bus. They didn't say a word and we went on our way. Livin' on the edge!
     I'm sick sick sick of dill. All of the food has dill, everything smells like dill, sometimes the water tastes like dill dill dill. I wish I could write more. I feel like I am short-changing my readers by sharing so little. At my soonest opportunity I will improve the situation. Dad, hall closet. Mom, can I have chicken and dumplings when I get home???

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your adventures Katie! Keep up the good work. :)
    P.S. We miss you in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry so much about leaving stuff out on the blog. You can write about it when your belly is full of chicken and dumplings and you've slept for 24 hours in a comfy bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bonnie! I have so much to tell you guys!

    Megan I sure will. Maybe after a bucket of gravy

    ReplyDelete