Saturday, June 11, 2011

More on Saturday

     I'm exhausted. The last post only fills you in to about 10AM. Next was Cana, the Sea of Galilee, Capurnaum, and the Mount of Beatitudes, all complete with sweat and stairs. We saw some amazing things today, and I have been so surprised at how many assumptions I made about these places and how wrong I was. This is not a flat desert. It's blooming and growing and beautiful. Tel Aviv was a poor representation of the other parts of the trip. I am finding this hotel in Haifa much more pleasant. The hotel owner just told us that from the terrace upstairs we can see all the way to Lebanon. How cool!
     Cana is the place where Jesus did his first miracle, water to wine. Since this took place at a wedding, the church on top is a wedding church. There are two towers on top to symbolize bride and groom. Underneath in the crusader layer there is a large stone jar that is what the jars from the story would have been like.
     After another nauseating bus ride, we got on a nauseating boat to sail across the Sea of Galilee. The Sea is so beautiful. The water is blue and the Golan Heights are on one side and more mountains all around. It was amazing to think that we were in the same place where Jesus walked on water and calmed the storm. I kept hoping an awful squall would come up to drive it home, but it was a beautiful day with a comfortable breeze off the water. The boat brought us to Tiberius but we didn't really discuss anything about the historical significance so I have nothing to report about that.
     Next was my favorite part of the trip so far. But I'm going to have to give you a cliffhanger because it's time for dinner. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment