Friday, June 10, 2011

Tel Aviv

     I am absolutely overflowing with things to write. I hardly know where to begin. I want to assure everyone that we are safe and well. Our tour guide has taken good care of us. I have tasted hummus, falafel, and some other ethnic food involving chicken inside pita bread. Let's just say I am considering living on chicken and dumplings the week I get home. But, Mom always says "Try new things!"
     I will post some exerpts from my journal. They may not be in chronological order, but neither is the bible.
    
Thursday, Day 2  Jaffa

     Today we met our tour guide, Mickey (I can't help but thing of "Peggy" from Capital One). He led us through Tel Aiv to the Old City of Jaffa. After climbing and climbing up the stone steps to the garden on top, Mickey told us a little about the city. The word "tel"means an artificial hill. Many generations ago, cities were built and later destroyed, either by natural disasters or wars. Later, civilizations built on top, as is the case in Jaffa. The new city, Tel Aviv (aviv means spring), can be seen growing on top of, next to, inside of, and all around Old Jaffa. Jaffa itself rests on layers and layers of former cities.
     Walking through Jaffa, you see the old meeting the new. So far that has been a theme in Israel. The aged stone of Jaffa seemed to hold up the flimsy structures from early Tel Aviv. From the steps of the Old City, you can clearly see skyscrapers and highways in the newer sections of the city.

This was from my school journal. The one I will turn in so that I will get credit for this course. I'm going to post it now because I am having trouble using the internet here. If I can, I'll keep writing.

P.S. Dad, look behind the ironing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment