Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Judy Moody


                You may have noticed… I’m insane. Yep. Basket case, loon, the whole nine yards. So even though my post yesterday was full of bubbles and joy, today not so much. It was super wonderful to get the care package from people who love me. Maybe the reminder of the support I have at home made me wish I was there. Maybe I need to put on my big girl pants and get over myself. At any rate, I’m not feeling super enthused about this day.

                We haven’t had any guests in a couple of nights so that’s a bummer.  I appreciate the rest, but our purpose is so clear when there are people around.  Things are harder for me when I don’t see the point. But of course, the house has business as usual. We are working on making a thousand cookies for a convention next week and Jamie and I are continuing our efforts on the case statement.

                This evening, Myriam and I decided to go to a college group at one of the local churches. It was your typical young adult thing, sing a few songs and split up for discussion. But tonight I felt a bit alienated from the church talk. We talked about denominational differences and what the bible says about different issues. Normally, I would eat that stuff up. I agreed with a lot of people, but I still felt a certain frustration. I didn’t contribute much. I just couldn’t care about some of it. My life here at the Hospitality House is so intentional. I want people here to know the love of Jesus. I don’t care if people want to dunk or sprinkle or if crackers count as the Lord’s Supper or if women need church bonnets. Doctrine is great. Following biblical guidelines is important. I’m just a little grossed out by church culture right now.

                I used to live in this world where things like that mattered. I used to face problems like which bible study to choose from and panic if someone asked me to pray in front of everyone. Here, in this place that is unfamiliar, my priorities are changing. I’m tired of gorging myself on spiritual knowledge and then not doing anything with it. It’s making me fat and sick inside. Here, it’s about people. It’s about love. I stand rooted in the bible, the truth of God’s word. But I am so over hearing it and doing nothing about it.

                I’m not upset with the church we went to or even the Church as a whole. Walking out your faith is so incredibly difficult. If anything, I want to encourage my brothers and sisters when I talk about church. I want to be part of the solution, not complain about how the Church is or isn’t. Conviction sucks. I don’t like being aware of my complacency. But there it is, out in the open so that I can move on. Onward and upward, my friends. How can we be the body of Christ today and tomorrow and next week? How can we read our bibles and know what to do with it?

 

 

                Thank you for praying for me and keeping up with the posts. I have not shared as many stories as I would like to, but that seems to be the pattern with blogging in general. Since it’s a slow week, maybe I’ll get to post some fun blurbs about our experiences with guests. Please be in prayer for all of us here at the House and our function as a team. There are 4 executions scheduled for July. Could you pray about my health? I’ve been getting headaches that make it hard for me to do what I need to do. Also pray that I will know God’s voice and recognize it. Pray that I will do what it says. Pray that I don’t act out of my selfishness, but with his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment