Monday, July 22, 2013

House Happenings


                What a very lot I have to tell you. For starters, I’d like to say a big thank you to those of you who have been praying for me and for this ministry. I have seen TONS of evidence that I’m being prayed for. God is really moving here! Some of it has been with our guests, some with the volunteers, and a whole bunch inside me. I have crashed and burned a lot lately. Lucky for me, I serve a God who is an expert at turning failure into something beautiful. Thank you for lifting up this ministry to the Lord. He continually provides. Thank you for praying for growth in my life. A few times I have wished you wouldn’t put me through so many growing pains. But I consider it pure joy, my brothers, when I experience trials of many kinds, for the testing of my faith produces perseverance.

                I may need to break things up into a couple different posts. I’d like to give you a rundown of a typical day at the Hospitality House. That is going to be a bit of a challenge, since there is always something new going on here. No two days are exactly alike, but at the same time they are. Confused yet? Me too.

                A day in our life starts early. When guests are in the house, we start making breakfast at 6am so that we can serve at 7. During breakfast we pick up laundry, hang out with guests, and try to get everyone out the door by 8. Breakfast always consists of biscuits and gravy. We use frozen biscuits and a gravy mix, but people are none the wiser. They’re actually delicious! Our first few weeks we goofed around the kitchen trying to read all the labels, but now we know where everything is. We whip out all the jellies and cereals and hot pads for breakfast in no time. Once the guests are gone, we try to finish getting ready and doing quiet times. It has gotten to be a pretty special occasion if I manage to get any makeup on. Sometimes I reach the end of the day and realize I haven’t even looked in the mirror. Not that it matters. Prison tats are sort of a deal breaker for me as far as the dating pool goes ;)

                Business hours are from 9-5 so staff and volunteers are here during that time. This is when we accept donations, take phone calls, and handle clerical things. We also need to make sure rooms are clean and reset with clean linens, reading materials, and marked bibles. After big weekends, this can take a big portion of the day. The beds need to be made and the rooms tidy. If you see something out of whack, you just fix it. No need to ask anymore. We try to remember to eat lunch. We clean the kitchen like a hundred thousand times. That thing has an uncanny ability to get dirty every time you turn around. After 3:00, guests can start checking in again. Cook dinner, socialize, hope for sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat. Debra and Joe have been out a lot lately, so Mark, Myriam, and I have been responsible for keeping things in line. Most of the times when Debra is away, she is spreading the word about the House. She shared with us that God constantly reminds her that this is HIS ministry and HE will provide for it. He has done just that, over and over. After worrying about spending for the BGCT Convention, we were blessed with a huge donation along with a sweet note from members of a church Debra spoke at. Thank you Lord!

                This week is extra fun! We have a youth group here for a mission trip. They came in today and will be helping out all week. Lots of things have to go undone around here, since we can only do so much. Having their help will give us the chance to do some necessary projects. I spent some time with the girls at dinner and it was a lot of fun. Youth ministry is the only place where you get points for being obnoxious. I dig that. They have a girl named Sam. I couldn’t help but ask if it was short for San Anthrax. Needless to say, she (and those of you not from Earth,TX) was confused. But I got a laugh and some general teenage approval. Win.

                I have a HUGE lesson/heart change/ God event to write about. But I’m wrapping this puppy up and I’ll give that one the time and thought it deserves. For now I’m going to get some rest. This post is just to let ya know I’m still alive. I have not forgotten all the beautiful faces that I know are supporting me. In fact I get more and more anxious to see you all again. But I am incredibly blessed to be in this place. God is good. So very, very good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment