Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Getting Started

I have journaled quite a bit about orientation and the first few days that I intend to post. Right now I'm updating from my phone because my computer is acting up and I am too tired to care too much. So I'll keep it short. Orientation in Dallas went well. We got lots of really valuable information and I was able to see two of my very best friends before taking off. My partner, Myriam, and I are off to a great start. We have different personalities but the same love for sharing Jesus with others.  Here at the House we are working on getting the hang of things. Our room is very nice and I'm glad to be on the kind of mission trip where you get hot water and a comfy bed. There is a lot to do each day and there is not really a "typical" day around here. Everyone at the House has been friendly and happy to see us. We won't have any guests until this weekend, but today we had a work crew of inmates come to the House. We were up early to make a big breakfast, loaded with things the men don't usually get to see. We prayed together and then shared a meal and great conversation. Some of the men had clearly had a life-changing encounter with Christ and are working towards a new life. By the time we cleaned up and tackled a few other tasks it was time to make lunch. Things didn't wind down til around 5:00. Then we went to a Wednesday night service at our director's church. We had the chance to hear a testimony from a man who had formerly been incarcerated. I was so blessed by his story. Not because he was an eloquent speaker or because he had a thrilling story. In fact, you could see he was no professional. The reason his testimony was so fascination was its complete focus on the work of Christ. In essence, it was simple. He used to be broken and the Lord made him whole. He made a commitment to obedience to God and his life was blessed as a result. Not a prosperity gospel, just the evidence of God's love and provision.

Of course I don't want you to think that I came to Huntsville and now I think all prisoners are the bomb. I know the justice system is important and that there are consequences to our choices. What I am seeing here is the redemptive power of God in the lives of believers. There is no one too far away for the Lord to find him. And once he does, the Church has room to receive a new brother or sister. The man who shared tonight is now linked up with other men to stay accountable. Believe it or not, many of these men are law enforcement officers. The very people he used to avoid are now his closest allies. With man, that kind of bridge is unthinkable. But nothing is too hard for God!

 Our job here won't be prison ministry. We probably won't know the details of our guests and the crimes their loved ones are incarcerated for. We are here to serve them in a safe, judgement-free environment. We meet needs because we follow our master's instructions. We love because he loved us. I'm glad we were able to see another facet of God's work here in Huntsville. Maybe the insight we got today will help us to be even better servants when we meet our first guests this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment