Sunday, May 15, 2011

Counting Down!

Departure date gets closer and closer, and I grow more and more excited. I once described myself as a young woman who knows where she is going, and that is anywhere I can get a plane ticket. That remains to be proven as I have yet to fly anywhere, much less transatlantic. Even so, I anxiously await the opportunity to take my first baby step in seeing the world: Israel.
            Details are important, so here’s the scoop. I am leaving June 8 for a 9 day study tour of Israel with Wayland Baptist University’s religion department. Since Israel could easily fit inside the Texas panhandle, we will be able to visit just about everything. While I don’t have a great deal of information about what we will be doing and seeing, I can say that I am very excited about riding a camel.
            Most people get all in a tizzy about “walking where Jesus walked”. I know that this is a meaningful experience for many people and I mean no disrespect. At the same time, I am having a hard time with this mindset. My Jesus lives in me and his Holy Spirit walks around with me right here in Texas. If that doesn’t blow your mind, then I don’t know what will. I am thrilled about having new experiences and gaining new understanding on people and places outside my day-to-day. I consider it a terrific opportunity to get a living, breathing context to put my bible knowledge in.  But I am not going to Israel to meet Jesus. He came to meet me.
            I’ve said it before, and I will say it many more times, if you helped me out with my funding by buying a pumpkin roll, coming to a fundraiser, or some other form THANK YOU! I am so grateful to go on this trip. I can hardly wrap my mind around the fact that it is ME and not some friend of mine flying to Israel in 24 DAYS!! I hope that you’ll enjoy reading what I have to say about it. I hope to be updating this blog while we are gone with informative, exciting, and (you know me) sometimes goofy insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment